Second week of school and already the following events take time from my classes:
- Monday: Mandatory reading test (full period)
- Tuesday: Freshman Buddies Day Workshop (about 75% of my seniors gone all Tuesday)
- Wednesday: Freshman Buddies Day (all freshman out of class all day; 75% of seniors out)
- Thursday: Minimum Day for District Teacher Health Fair (attendance mandatory)
- Friday: Lock down drill third period (15 minutes)
They take the time but expect the same results as if we had a full week of instruction. It takes time to teach, time to learn. In an economy of attention, time to learn seems only of marginal importance at such times.
Addendum: I had to update after school on Tuesday. The district office made a mistake with the reading scoring sheets we used on Monday's reading test, so we had to spend class time mindlessly transferring answers from one form to another. Aghggh.